Monday 14 July 2008

R.I.P OLIVE RILEY....


Olive Riley the worlds oldest blogger has passed away Saturday July 12th aged 108.

Olive had posted more than 70 entries on her blog - or as she jokingly labelled it, her "blob" - since February last year.

The ardent Sydney Swans AFL fan shared her day-to-day musings and her life's experiences raising three children on her own, living through two world wars and the Depression, her work as a station cook in rural Queensland and as an egg sorter and barmaid in Sydney.

In her final post, dated June 26, an increasingly frail Olive noted she couldn't "shake off that bad cough".

She also: "... read a whole swag of email messages and comments from my internet friends today, and I was so pleased to hear from you. Thank you, one and all."

http://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=4951242412489879248

Olive showed that age is no barrier to blogging and achieving personal goals. Rest In Peace Olive, you will be sadly missed.

All is Well
by Henry Scott-Holland.

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I, and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name,
speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone,
wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me and if you want to, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was,
let it be spoken without effect,
without the trace of a shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It is the same as it ever was;
there is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

http://worldsoldestblogger.blogspot.com.

8 comments:

James Higham said...

That's lovely, Nunyaa. You do come up with these posts and well done.

jmb said...

Very early on in my blogging career I wrote a post about the world's oldest blogger, wondering if I was it. Research brought me to Olive and a lady in Spain who made me look like a spring chicken. Although neither of them actually wrote or did the tech stuff for their blogs so I felt I had the edge there.

I tried to get on to her site earlier today when I read this elsewhere but have not been able to get on at all, trying many times.

She certainly was a card, a typical Australian to my mind.

Nunyaa said...

If you click on Olive's name in the first sentence, it takes you to a site where the notice of Olive's passing is posted.
Thank you James and JMB you are still a spring chicken.

CherryPie said...

I hope I am doing so well at that age!!! Well if I get to that age ;-)

Nunyaa said...

I think you will Cherie ;-)

jams o donnell said...

To be blogging at 108 Wonderful!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

God bless her.

Colin Campbell said...

Only sixty more years of blogging to go.