Saturday 17 May 2008

LOUD SHIRT DAY

Yesterday, May 16th was Loud Shirt Day. People were asked to wear their loudest shirt to help raise funds for deaf children in Queensland, to develop their listening, language, and speech skills.
One in six people suffer from some form of deafness, with between two and three children in every 1,000 born with a hearing impairment each year. With the above figures, it is devastating to realise that there isn't enough speech pathologists or therapists to go around. Many children are sadly missing out on what they need and parents, teachers and aides are having to make do without and continue to do what little they can. It was always in back of my mind that my youngest would be teased when he started school and even though he has copped a fair bit in his first year, am happy to see the school stamp on any kind of ridicule to any student less fortunate. There are students, people in this world who are worse off than my son and I hope that with awareness comes tolerance and more aid for those who require it.
http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/

3 comments:

CherryPie said...

That sounds like a fun way to raise money and awareness of the issues.

jams o donnell said...

I cant do loud shits but every day is loud tie day for me (work days that is!)

Nunyaa said...

I wore a black one as it had completely slipped my mind Cherie but wish I had of remembered in time.
Jams, yes we have seen your colorful collection LOL.