Tuesday 22 April 2008

Why do we blog

When posts are done, does one do so with the idea that everyone will agree with you or do you expect a difference of opinion? I do not know about what other bloggers expect but myself, I want to hear differences of opinion. Nothing from this blogger is written with the expectation that all think the same and when posting if a piece is written that others disagree with then let them call me on it. With all due respect, if a topic is disagreed on, it isn't the writer but the topic at hand that I will question if I have a different opinion or knowledge. There is nothing wrong with a bit of healthy criticism. In the world of blogging, thick skin is needed as not each person who reads your blogs will agree or even like what you write. If we was all the same and all had same thought patterns and input what a boring place blogs would be. :-) Agree to disagree.

10 comments:

CherryPie said...

I just blogged for my friends, then suddenly I was getting friends visiting :-)

I do agree that healthy debate and difference of opinion is good! It broadens the mind.

Crushed said...

I agree on the whole.

I think the blogosphere allows us a great opportunity for rational debate.

I think one has to be wary though. Some comments sections CAN develop into personal attacks, unless kept in check.

But yes, I think it's more intersring to read (and respond to) a well written post you don't agree totally with, than one you could have written yourself.

CherryPie said...

Ooops! that should have read getting new friends visiting!!!

Nunyaa said...

I myself got annoyed at a comment and after having chat to a good friend, I accepted it for what it was. I do not always agree with my links either but they are all different and that is what makes blogs interesting, variety.

Static said...

I guess I blog because I like writing, I like humor, and I like sharing that with other people and the occasional chimp.

I suppose I am not worried what most people on the internet think, because I don't know them, therefore if they are hypercritical of my work or my opinion then we have no personal relationship in the first place for me to consider it to be offensive.

I think the internet makes it easier to share opinions and debate about them out in the open, devoid of face-to-face conflict, angry mobs and typical soapboxes.

jmb said...

There's not anything controversial on my blog although in real life I am much more opinionated.
But I agree with this statement, as long as it is polite and no name calling ensues, just exchanges of different ideas.

Nunyaa said...

I enjoy reading what you write JMB and I like your avatar as well :-)

Colin Campbell said...

I have been a bit taken aback a few times, but I rarely tackle controversial issues. Interesting is important for me.

James Higham said...

Yes, Colin, I'm never controversial either. We're the Gentle Bros.

Nunyaa said...

I wouldn't have described it quite that way.